This year the way interviews are conducted has had to change and this now seems to be shaping the future of interviewing as well. Video calls have become crucial in the way people work throughout the pandemic and lots of people see no reason why this should end.
With that in mind we have compiled a list of top tips for participating in online video interviews…
- Set up in a quiet place with no risk of interruptions with good lighting and a plain backdrop
- Test your webcam and audio in advance
- Ensure your Wi-Fi connection is strong and stable
- Dress as you would for an ‘in-person’ interview
- Print your CV rather than have it open on your laptop
- Close any unnecessary windows
- Be engaging and an active listener- keep eye contact and don’t fiddle!
- Have a pen and paper handy for preparedness (maybe a glass of water too!)
However, with technology, there is always a chance that things may not go exactly as planned, if this is the unfortunate case, here are some things you can do to manage the issues: –
- Ask for a phone number at the start of the interview so you have somewhere to call if e.g. you lose connection.
- If you have an unexpected interruption, apologise to the interviewer before muting your microphone and turning off your camera. After dealing with the interruption, return and apologise once again.